7 Effective Tips to Read Faster and Tackle Your TBR Pile



Admit it, we all, at least once in our lives, wanted to read one book a week. Maybe it’s because Jeff Bezos or Barack Obama does it, or sometimes it might be a book vlogger who claims that she read 100+ books this year and shares her top 10. Or maybe it’s because you have a TBR pile you are drowning in, and you just want to finish them. I have always wondered how people manage to do this.

I recently started speed reading my non-fiction books, and it really worked.

Your TBR is too long, Read faster.

Here are a few tips that can help you read faster:

  1. Measure your reading speed: I personally used this website, The Read Time, to track my reading time. I consider myself an average reader; I read 250 words per minute. I think I started at 100, and now I am currently at 250 WPM. It’s quite a progress! The first step to solving a problem is acknowledging it.



  2. Know your why:

    "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." – Mark Twain

    Why are you reading this book? What information are you expecting it to provide? I am currently reading Atomic Habits because I want to understand the science behind habit formation and use it to improve my daily routines. That is my “why.” What's yours?

  3. Reduce subvocalization: Subvocalization is that little voice in your head when you read. This habit has been ingrained in us since childhood, as it’s how everyone taught us to read. It leads to decreased reading speed and comprehension. You can reduce subvocalization by closing your lips firmly and letting your visual senses do the work for you. I agree that there will be days when you want to relax and take it slow; subvocalization can be soothing at those times.

  4. Focus on the spaces between the text: Move your eyes to the spaces between the sentences; this will help you read faster. Your focus will then be only on the important words. Trust me, we don’t have to read the whole sentence, including “the,” “is,” “me,” or “are.” This practice helps us skip unnecessary details and get to the point by comprehending only what is essential.

  5. Use a pen to maintain focus: “What did I just read? Let me go back to the previous page.” — this is me whenever I lose my concentration. If you have a hard time focusing like I do, take a pen, pencil, or finger and point to the words as you read; it helps you concentrate and decreases your wandering thoughts.

  6. Increase your visual range: Train and exercise your eye muscles by moving your eyes from left to right, up and down, and vice versa. Try reading what’s on billboards or quickly glancing at the signs on your way.

  7. Visualization: If you enjoy reading fiction, try visualizing what the author is describing, just like in the movies. Let your mind take you where the author intends, which enhances your comprehension and focus.

Let’s end with a little story that illustrates the essence of reading:

A young person once approached a wise elder, seeking clarity. “My mind feels clouded, and I don’t know where to begin to find answers,” they said.

The elder handed them a dirty pot and asked them to fill it with water. When the person returned with murky water, the elder said, “The pot still holds old dirt. To fill it with clear water, you must first empty and clean it.”

The young person emptied the pot completely, washed it thoroughly, and returned with clear water. The elder smiled and said, “Reading is like this process. It clears our minds of distractions and clutter, allowing us to focus and see things with new clarity.”

Through this, the young person understood how reading, like cleaning the pot, can help refresh the mind and create space for new insights.


Reading Journal Notion Template here!

0 comments