Start Your Day Mindfully: Gathas for a Zen Morning


What Are Gathas?

Gathas have been an essential part of the Buddhist tradition for many centuries and were popularized in the modern world by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Gathas are short verses recited during daily activities to help us return to the present moment and dwell in mindfulness. Often, we operate on auto-pilot, performing tasks while our minds are elsewhere. As a child, my teacher used to scold us with, “Mind absent, body present”—a phrase many Indian kids will relate to.

When was the last time you truly paid attention while brushing, bathing, or getting ready?

Here are some Gathas by Thich Nhat Hanh to help us stay mindful and enhance our awareness during common daily practices:

Waking Up:

Waking up this morning, I smile.

Twenty-four brand new hours are before me.

I vow to live fully in each moment

and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion.

Reflections: Waking up with a smile, I embrace the new day, knowing I have 24 fresh hours to live fully. I promise to be present in every moment and approach everyone with kindness and compassion.



Taking the First Step of the Day:

Walking on the Earth

is a miracle!

Each mindful step

reveals the wondrous Dharmakaya. (Body of Truth)

Reflections: Each step I take is a reminder of the miracle of being alive. Walking mindfully, I connect with the deeper truths of life and existence.




Opening the Window:

Opening the window,

I look out onto the Dharmakaya.

How wondrous is life!

Attentive to each moment,

my mind is clear like a calm river.

Reflections: As I open the window, I marvel at the world outside, feeling grateful for the beauty of life. With a clear and focused mind, I am ready to face the day.




Turning on the Light:

Forgetfulness is the darkness,

mindfulness is the light.

I bring awareness

to shine upon all life.

Reflections: Mindfulness is like turning on a light in the darkness of forgetfulness. By being aware, I bring clarity and presence to every aspect of my life.




Turning on the Water:

Water flows from high mountain sources.

Water runs deep in the Earth.

Miraculously, water comes to us,

and sustains all life.

Reflections: Water, which nourishes all life, comes to us through the wonders of nature. I am reminded of the preciousness of this resource and its importance in sustaining us.




Brushing Your Teeth:

Brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth,

I vow to speak purely and lovingly.

When my mouth is fragrant with right speech,

a flower blooms in the garden of my heart.

Reflections: While brushing my teeth, I commit to speaking with love and kindness. Clean speech nourishes the heart, just like a flower blooms in a peaceful garden.




Looking in the Mirror:

Awareness is a mirror

reflecting the four elements.

Beauty is a heart that generates love

and a mind that is open.

Reflections: The mirror reflects my body, but awareness reveals the elements of life within me. True beauty comes from a loving heart and an open mind.




Using the Washroom:

Defiled or immaculate,

increasing or decreasing—

these concepts exist only in our minds.

The reality of interbeing is unsurpassed.

Reflections: Ideas of perfection or imperfection exist only in our thoughts. In reality, everything is interconnected and part of the whole, beyond such concepts.




Washing Your Hands:

Water flows over these hands.

May I use them skillfully

to preserve our precious planet.

Reflections: As water flows over my hands, I reflect on how I can use them to care for the world. Every action has the potential to help preserve the planet.




Bathing:

Unborn and indestructible,

beyond time and space—

Both transmission and inheritance

lie in the wonderful nature of the Dharmadhatu.

Reflections: My existence is beyond physical boundaries, part of the timeless and vast nature of the universe. Bathing is a moment to appreciate the continuity of life and its deep wisdom.




Washing Your Body:

Rinsing my body,

my heart is cleansed.

The universe is perfumed with flowers.

Actions of body, speech, and mind are calmed.

Reflections: Cleansing my body also refreshes my mind and heart. This simple act brings peace and harmony to my thoughts, actions, and spirit.







Getting Dressed:

Putting on these clothes,

I am grateful to those who made them

and to the materials from which they were made.

I wish everyone could have enough to wear.

Reflections: As I put on my clothes, I feel thankful for the people who made them and the materials they come from. I wish that everyone in the world has the basic needs of life, like clothing.




Greeting Others:

A lotus for you,

a Buddha to be.

Reflections: When I greet someone, I offer them my full attention and respect, recognizing the potential within them. It’s a gesture of acknowledging their inherent goodness, as we are all capable of becoming our best selves.





As you go about your daily activities—whether it’s brushing your teeth, opening the window, or greeting others—let these gathas serve as gentle reminders to return to the present moment. Each verse offers an opportunity to connect deeply with the essence of life, turning everyday actions into mindful practices.

Try incorporating these gathas into your own routine and notice how they transform your daily experiences. Embrace each moment with mindfulness and compassion, and watch as your life becomes more enriched and harmonious.


May your day be filled with presence, peace, and the profound beauty of mindful

0 comments